The town of Richmond has a distinguished history of being committed to quality education for its residents. By most accounts, the first public school in Richmond was established in 1781. By the late 19th century, Richmond had six schoolhouses to serve its student population: the Northeast, Southeast, North, Center, Southwest, and Furnace.
In her 1964 book Richmond, Katharine Huntington Annin pointed out that the earliest record of a school committee was in 1862, when the average winter enrollment was 137 and the average summer enrollment 117. (Interestingly, according to Annin, “the cost of all the schools, including teachers’ board, salaries, and fuel for the school stoves, was $850.”)
In 1937, the six schools were consolidated into one building aptly named the “Richmond Consolidated School.” Located on the present site, the school– built for a total cost of $24,000– included three classrooms for eight grades as well as a teachers’ room and a basement lunch/play area.
The Richmond Consolidated School underwent a major renovation and expansion in 2000. A centerpiece of the Richmond community, the beautiful state-of-the-art facility today provides the setting for a solid, well-rounded education for 175 students from preschool to eighth grade. Besides the basics– math, science, English, and history– our children also have the opportunity to study Spanish, French, art, music, drama, technology, and physical education.